This guide is designed to support UNHCR staff, partners and other stakeholders at field level to:
- Recognize the protection concerns and capacities of refugees with disabilities and other persons with disabilities protected and assisted by UNHCR;
- Apply the principles reflected in the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) and UNHCR Guidance on Working with Persons with Disabilities to a range of programs and sectors;
- Design immediate and long-term strategies to mitigate protection risks and promote the inclusion of persons with disabilities in UNHCR programming.
The four modules include:
- Introductory module - Organizing an accessible and inclusive workshop (Module 1);
- Promoting a rights-based approach to disability (Module 2);
- Raising awareness about the impact of forced displacement on persons with disabilities (Module 3);
- Learning key strategies to foster inclusion of persons with disabilities in forced displacement (Module 4).